how we work
We work closely with partner organisations from around the world. Our experience at grassroots level informs and shapes our work to influence decision-makers and inspire change on a global level, particularly on bonded labour (also known as debt bondage), descent based slavery, forced labour, forced marriage, the worst forms of child labour, the exploitation of migrant workers in conditions amounting to slavery (particularly migrant domestic workers), and human trafficking.
We use the following approaches:
- Enabling people to leave slavery – through exemplar frontline projects with local partners, building their capacity to effectively tackle human rights abuses through research and awareness raising in their own countries
- Helping victims of slavery – with frontline work ensuring they access the psychological and legal support they need to recover and obtain justice and compensation
- Supporting the empowerment of people to be better protected from slavery – again working at grass roots level, to help communities demand respect for their human rights and tackle the root causes of slavery through access to education and the elimination of caste and gender inequality
- Identifying ways in which abuses can be brought to an end, demonstrating how our frontline work empowers individuals and communities to sustainably leave, or obtain protection from, slavery
Our advocacy and programme work are closely linked, as we convey to key decision makers the messages of victims and recommendations from local partners for an effective eradication of slavery. We use this knowledge base to inform, influence and inspire change through:
- advocating and lobbying within countries for legislation, policy and practice that prevent and eradicates slavery
- international policy work and campaigning – lobbying and holding to account international institutions such as the United Nations, the European Union, the African Union and the International Labour Organisation and businesses, either ourselves or through coalitions and partnerships
- collecting information and publishing reports about these human rights abuses, bringing them to the attention of the public and promoting public action to end them through media work and supporter campaigns
HELP US END SLAVERY:SHARE THIS PAGE:
Bonded labourers in South East Asia thanks to our work manged to stand up and claim their own rights.
Read Mathura and Dolamani Bagh's story
Angel, former child domestic worker from Taznania came for support to Anti-Slavery's partners, then went on to set up her own organisation supporting fellow child domestic workers.
Read her story
Our campaigns make real difference in the law and policies. Read more about our successes.